CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 24, 2010

Dachau, A concerntration camp.

What a weekend. I spent Saturday with a friend and we went to Dachau, otherwise, a concentration camp. It was depressing and heartbreaking. I learned a lot more than I had learned in books. WWII and what the Nazi's did is one of my favorite things to learn about. I like to learn about it and make sure that it is not forgotten and in a few years teach it to my kids and teach them not to hate somebody based on looks, religion, or race. Brendan has asked a little about it and I have talked a little about it, but I feel he is a little too young to actually go and see the photographs.



It was weird to see the barracks where they stayed and the beds stacked three high where they slept. They are much smaller in person than I thought. The special exhibit going on right now was pregnant and having babies in camps. I had to walk away after reading some of the stories, and I won't go into detail here, but as a mom it breaks my heart what these cruel people did to women and their children. The main thing that got me was the crematorium.


They had to build a bigger one because the original one was being used beyond its capacity. I walked away with tears in my eyes. How can people be so cruel and how could the town that this is right in the middle of be so oblivious too? I walked away Saturday with a deeper understanding of what the Jewish people went through and sadness in my heart. I will try harder to make sure my kids understand what happened here and that they will not hate anybody and bully anybody just because they don't believe in the same beliefs.




Gas Chamber (where they thought their were taking a shower but were actually killed by gas)

Picture of what it looked like before all the barracks were torn down. Now thats all left is two. Dachau was built to hold 5,000-6,000 but at the time of liberation it was about 32,000!! If you are ever in Germany I would highly suggest gong and seeing one of the many camps. I am going to try to see Auschwitz next because I am into history and being so clase this is a once in a lifetime chance for me.

4 comments:

Pam said...

It is heartbreaking to see this stuff. I am glad you are getting a chance to see it and then share it with the boys. I agree, sometimes you have to see it to really understand how awful it was! Blessings!

parenting ad absurdum said...

I really appreciate you talking about this subject, and showing the photos - it is so important to remember what happened. Thank you.

peryl @ parenting ad absurdum (MBC FFF)

Theta Mom said...

Wow - Thanks for this reminder to count our blessings!

And welcome to TMC! Following!

family of 4 on the move! said...

That is a trip we will never forget ourselves! It truly does humble you doesn't it?!
We too are hoping to make it to Auschwitz sometime we didn't make it last time we were here but that one will be really hard for me!
Can't wait to see your next travel experiences!